What is Community Supported Agriculture?
Community Supported Agriculture is much different than going to the local grocery and buying your vegetables. It is a direct partnership between you the consumer, and our farm. CSA members pay in advance for a share of the upcoming harvest and are ensured access to truly nourishing food, food that is grown locally, organically and is delivered when most nutritious and fresh. What's more, the shareholder cultivates a relationship with their farmer, the land, and with other shareholders.
CSA is an opportunity to use your money to support valuable causes: responsible land stewardship, a vibrant local food economy, a healthy community, and the success of local farmers. Produce is grown and harvested directly from our fertile and certified organic vegetable fields located along the Colorado River just East of Austin.
What does a CSA Membership Include?
A weekly delivery of seasonal, certified organic vegetables, fruits and herbs bursting with flavor and freshly harvested from our fields
- Four share sizes to suit your weekly vegetable needs with convenient online management of your schedule and preferences
- Invitations to JBG Member events such as farm workshops, gardening and cooking classes, potlucks, U-picks, farm tours, seasonal camping, as well as our annual Spring and Fall Open Houses so you can see where your food is grown and meet the people who produce it.
- A picture and recipe filled weekly newsletter that includes details about how to handle and store your produce. Each week we also share news from the farm and cover events and happenings in the local Austin food and farming community
- Special member pricing on bulk-item purchases like heirloom tomatoes, seasonal organic Texas citrus and spring transplants
- You will also have access to our online recipe database, cooking and storage tips, photos and member forums. You are also invited to join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
- The option to add to your CSA share free-range eggs, organic, fair-trade and locally roasted coffee and other selected artisanal foods from local producers.
What's in a CSA Box?
We grow over 60 different types of vegetables and herbs, and each week, members receive a "share" box filled with a variety of seasonal, organically grown vegetables, fruits and herbs. All of the vegetables in our CSA shares come from Johnson's Backyard Garden directly and are certified organic. We select all of 100% of the vegetable varieties we grow based upon flavor, fruit abundance and adaptability. The contents of each week's box can be found on our home page, and recipes using those items are included in our weekly blog
posts. You can see photos of our recent CSA boxes in our Veggie Guide
How much does it cost?
Shares start at $21 per box for community pickup
, or $24 for home delivery. There are no fees to join and no long-term commitments!
How do I Sign-up?
Go to our Join
page and follow the steps to choose your membership option.
How do I identify, cook, and properly store the vegetables in my share?
We aim to grow the highest quality produce possible. Almost all of our vegetables except some storage crops are harvested the morning of delivery or the day before delivery; picking up your box as early as possible during the pick-up window will help ensure their freshness and nutritional quality. We post a picture of the contents of our weekly CSA share on our website. When you roll your mouse over each item, it is identified for you. Not only does it provide animated pictures with identification of the weekly offerings, but we have created a Veggie Guide that includes a page for each type of produce we grow that includes information about the growing season, varieties, storage tips, cooking tips, and CSA member submitted recipes.
For more information on the Procedures and Policies please look at our Frequently Asked Questions